Mailman Url Host

Yet another “note to self” type post. I was just fumbling around with Mailman, and for some reason the web frontend was always redirecting me to, while I had been working on the options at For some other reason that I didn’t really look into, even though my server redirects to anyway, no changes were persisted that way. I was additionally confused because my configures the default url host to explicitly. I tried hacking around in the DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN, which has a %s placeholder, but when I took that out and replaced with directly, I got an error in the web frontend. After a while I found out that the url host is in fact configured with the list (not entirely sure what purpose this serves – seems to me like a per-machine config would suffice). More importantly, contrary to appearances the DEFAULT_URL_HOST set up in doesn’t seem to play any role in this whatsoever. Previously I had set up my new list like this:

> newlist

I fixed my problem now by configuring the url host explicitly on list creation:

> rmlist -a mylist
> newlist -u

Weird, but apparently necessary.

Sorry, this blog does not support comments.

I used various blog hosting services since this blog was established in 2005, but unfortunately they turned out to be unreliable in the long term and comment threads were lost in unavoidable transitions. At this time I don't want to enable third-party services for comments since it has become obvious in recent years that these providers invariably monetize information about their visitors and users.

Please use the links in the page footer to get in touch with me. I'm available for conversations on Keybase, Matrix, Mastodon or Twitter, as well as via email.