Who Puts IPv6 Entries in My Hosts File?

I just had a weird problem – for some reason IE wouldn’t run my XAF (eXpressApp Framework) web applications (ASP.NET) anymore. At first I suspected some sort of installation problem, since I’d just installed the new 8.1.1 version, and not long ago this used to work just fine. But for some unrelated reasons I uninstalled and reinstalled, and the problem was still the same.

In the URL for the application, I tried replacing localhost with 127.0.0.1 and I found that this solved the problem. I ping’d localhost and I noticed that it was using ::1 as the address instead of 127.0.0.1 – the IPv6 equivalent. I looked in my hosts file and there was an entry in there, combining ::1 with localhost. Removing that entry solved the problem. Now, this is a bit weird… I actually thought I didn’t even IPv6 enabled at all, which would have explained why connections to ::1 wouldn’t work. But I found that it was in fact active – not sure why, I believe I switched it off at some point. Pinging ::1 is not a problem. So why can’t IE connect to it? And who added the ::1 entry to my hosts file recently? Or was it previously working in spite of that entry? Bizarre Windows network stuff… see, that’s why I still love Linux for my servers. Text based config files that never suddenly change automatically. Great.

Sorry, this blog does not support comments.

I used various blog hosting services since this blog was established in 2005, but unfortunately they turned out to be unreliable in the long term and comment threads were lost in unavoidable transitions. At this time I don't want to enable third-party services for comments since it has become obvious in recent years that these providers invariably monetize information about their visitors and users.

Please use the links in the page footer to get in touch with me. I'm available for conversations on Keybase, Matrix, Mastodon or Twitter, as well as via email.