Yet another “note to self” type post. I was just fumbling around with Mailman, and for some reason the web frontend was always redirecting me to
http://foo.com, while I had been working on the options at
http://www.foo.com. For some other reason that I didn’t really look into, even though my server redirects
http://www.foo.com anyway, no changes were persisted that way.
I was additionally confused because my
mm_cfg.py configures the default url host to
http://www.foo.com explicitly. I tried hacking around in the
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN, which has a
%s placeholder, but when I took that out and replaced with
http://www.foo.com directly, I got an error in the web frontend.
After a while I found out that the url host is in fact configured with the list (not entirely sure what purpose this serves — seems to me like a per-machine config would suffice). More importantly, contrary to appearances the
DEFAULT_URL_HOST set up in
mm_cfg.py doesn’t seem to play any role in this whatsoever. Previously I had set up my new list like this:
newlist email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
I fixed my problem now by configuring the url host explicitly on list creation:
rmlist -a mylist newlist -u www.foo.com email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Weird, but apparently necessary.